Six

8:58 PM

The Pessimist's Negatives. June Roll, 6.

75680031-e-72

I suppose an airplane will be the closest I ever get to flying.  I have always envied each animal that gets to experience that sense of freedom for even just a moment.  Maybe it is my inner reaction to conflict or maybe it's simply a need for freedom that I brought with me upon birth.  But David Foster Wallace once said:

“The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.” 

And I think that is a calling to face conflict and ignore the lie that freedom comes only with being alone.  I am not sure even the greatest loner of loners want to be "lonely".  I think they want most to be understood for their need of space and to not hurt others with that need.

~rae

You Might Also Like

0 comments